Thursday, February 28, 2013

Second Opinions

This past 12 months, almost to the day, has been a year of kicks to the ribs for me.  A house full of four young children is hard enough, but the added medical and developmental issues has once again given me bigger eyes and better ears as a mother.

Our last appointment for GI has taught us that no matter how well we think we are doing, we are still an experiment.  Being "one of a kind" is a tricky subject.  A friend posted something a while ago  about being a fruit loop in a world full of cheerios.  It's true and refreshing, but it's at the same time true and menacing.

A bridge that I've crossed long ago is no longer feeling bad about anything when I'm trying to help my kids.  We sometimes need opinions and second and third opinions to let something tough to swallow, sit in our stomachs.  For parents with questions, keep looking until you find what you are looking for.  And if you find it, always be open to something new.  If you don't find it, look for peace. Stop worrying about what people will think of your search, whose feelings may be hurt as a therapist or doctor and certainly don't beat yourself up along the way.

I've learned that when I'm not satisfied and have exhausted my search, I try my own ways for change and progress.  Tell you what - mother usually knows best.  We just booked two second opinion appointments and there is no guilt felt at all even doing it within the same practice.  More importantly, there is also no false hope that someone else will tell me everyone else is wrong and that they have the solution for me.

I search because it makes me more aware, more prepared and better equipped to make decisions.  I talk to countless families every week and most of us are in the same boat, just riding a different wave.  So here we go guys - sink or swim.  What's it going to be?

No paddle? Use a leg.
No energy? find a support person. 
No clue what you're doing? Welcome to the club.
But that's just my opinion ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment